Forums

Topic: Top 10 digital-only games that need a physical release. 2023 Edition

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

Magician

I had a post back in October for the 2022 thread. But the new year is almost upon us, so lets get a new thread going. There are still so many games that I'd love to have a physical copy of on my all-time favorite platform. Boutique publishers, make some of these happen if you would please.

What Remains of Edith Finch
Fez
Bastion
Inside
Freshly Frosted
The Stanley Parable
Neon White
Spelunky
Retro Bowl
Everhood

Switch Physical Collection - 1,256 games (as of May 29th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

MarioBrickLayer

Here are my 10, I have avoided games already listed by @Magician
Pumpkin Jack
Destropolis
Willy Jetman: Astromonkey's Revenge
Islanders: Console Edition
Super Arcade Football
Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread
Cursed to Golf
Tunic
Nobody Saves the World
Splatter Zombiecalypse Now

MarioBrickLayer

GrailUK

Nice list. Magic. There are too many to think of so umm...not so much a top ten, just ones that come to mind. (edit - changed to avoid repetition O.<)
Portal
Blizzard Arcade Collection
Tumbleseed
Marble Up!
Shinsekai Into the Depths
Ghosts and Goblins Ressurection
Actraiser Renaissance
Valkyria Chronicles
Glyph
Alien Isolation

Happy New Year everyone. Let's hope it goes a little easier on our wallets, eh?

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Ralizah

All I really care about at this point is Famicom Detective Club 1 & 2.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

SillyG

Weirdly, I'm drawing a blank here. I'm hoping for a double-feature physical release with Kirby Fighters 2 and Kirby's Dream Buffet on a single cart. I'd given up on waiting for a The Stretchers/Good Job! double pack and ended up buying them on sale a while ago. Both fantastic games that deserved a physical release (and I'm still willing to double-dip). I also caved on Kirby's Dream Buffet due to last night's sale, which was more reasonably priced for a digital exclusive.

But for the most part, it's only all-on-cart games that I am interested in at this point. Pokkén Tournament DX with the additional fighters, Smash Ultimate with EVERYTHING on a cart, Xenoblade 3 (once the large scale content is ready to go, a la Torna), Mario Kart 8 DX with the booster pass baked into the cart (which won't happen until late 2023 or early 2024, even if Nintendo consider issuing such a release), among others. I am so over paid DLC and physical games released unfinished with a good chunk of the content added via updates after the fact.

I'm also hopeful that DOOM Eternal's expansion missions will get a separate physical release. I'm assuming that LRG's release of the base game will be a tailor-made build (trimmed of all the fat, so to speak) housed in a 16GB cart. I would have preferred paying a little extra to have EVERYTHING on a single 32GB/64GB cart, but publishers evidently hate giving us nice things.

@Ralizah : As much as I would love that too, sadly, I think that ship has sailed. I don't know what the hell Nintendo was thinking by splitting the release into different versions for Japan/Asia and the West (instead of making just one version of the game with all supported languages), even more so as they were released simultaneously.

I absolutely would have jumped at the Japanese physical release with the 2 disc soundtrack had the cartridge included English.

Either way, I won't be buying it without a physical release. Nintendo must be on crack thinking that customers would pay AU$90 for this as a download exclusive.

@GrailUK : And I second Blizzard Arcade for The Lost Vikings.

Porygon did nothing wrong.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Ralizah

@Sisilly_G Yeah, I'm not expecting a physical release in english at this point. But I'll be waiting either on that or a price drop. We'll see what happens.

SillyG

@Ralizah : Given how stingy Nintendo are with their "sales", I wouldn't hold my breath. Even 50% off AU$90 is a rip-off (for a download anyway).

Edited on by SillyG

Zuljaras

1. Graveyard Keeper

2. Castlevania Advance Collection

3. Resident Evil HD

4. Bioshock

5. Bioshock 2

6. Bioshock Infinite

SillyG

Zuljaras wrote:

2. Castlevania Advance Collection

Zuljaras wrote:

3. Resident Evil HD

Castlevania Advance is merely a matter of time now that LRG/Konami are done releasing the Arcade Classics/Contra/Castlevania anniversary collections.

Sadly, I can't see Resident Evil HD happening given Capcom's awful "physical" releases (and that they have already "released" it via the Origins Collection, albeit as a download code). It sucks so much that they didn't just issue both Zero and 1HD on a single 32GB cart (and likewise for the 4/5/6 trilogy, which would have required one of those fabled 64GB carts).

Edited on by SillyG

Zuljaras

@Sisilly_G OR if they just put the RE1HD on the cart and 0 as a download

I got RE4 as physical because I did not care for 5 and 6. I even gave them out to people because I do not like codes

Also, I asked LRG and they told me that there are not even negotiating with Konami about the CV Advance collection yet. But maybe they are just answering like that to confuse us until it is official!

Edited on by Zuljaras

SillyG

@Zuljaras : A cart of RE1HD definitely would have been preferable. Grr... bloody Capcom.

With great reluctance, I bought the "physical" releases as well (after discounts). Fortunately, I'd been able to sell all of the download codes, so, the cartridges were fairly priced in the end.

I also bought the Japanese standalone release of Resident Evil Revelations over the US release with Revelations 2 as a download (though the price did eventually drop to about what I had paid for the standalone Revelations 1). Annoyingly, this is my FOURTH copy of Revelations (3DS/Wii U/PC via Humble Bundle/Switch), and I didn't even like the friggin' game that much.

I also bought Revelations 2 (very reluctantly) for Switch on sale with my gold coins, but I'm still so p'ed off about the fact that it's not physical that I have hardly played it.

Edited on by SillyG

Zuljaras

@Sisilly_G I have Revelations 1 on the 3DS and PS4 but I vastly prefer Revelations 2. It is not even a contest for me Revelations 1 for me has the boring factor of RE6.

I would love to get my hands on a Asia copy for Revelations 2 for the PS Vita though!

Ralizah

@Sisilly_G I had to wait more than a year, but that Neo Geo Pocket collection from SNK finally sunk in price. Doesn't mean FDC will, but almost all Switch games eventually go on sale, and I'm a patient person.

I'm not opposed to paying full price for physical... when I buy at launch. Having waited a year, I'm going to, on principle, gain some sort of advantage for having waited first, even if it's a small one. I can't abide paying full price for old games.

Edited on by Ralizah

MarioBrickLayer

Cursed To Golf is getting a numbered release from Limited Run Games. Hopefully a few more titles from this thread will get physicals announced soon.

MarioBrickLayer

Jhena

Kirby's Dream Buffet would be nice.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

SillyG

I'm assuming that LRG's release of DOOM Eternal will be a tailor-made build of the base game on a 16GB cartridge that will not be compatible with existing DLC and may exclude junk data and/or multi-language support in order to keep the file size down.

And on that note, I hope that they announce a standalone physical release of the expansion pack content as well.

For now, I'm hoping for physical releases of:

• Trivial Pursuit Live 2
  • Terminal Velocity: Boosted Edition
  • Chex Quest HD
  • Bulletstorm: Duke of Switch Edition
  • DOOM Eternal: Ancient campaign
  • Castlevania Advance Collection

And all-in-one cart releases of:

• Pokémon Scarlet/Violet + DLC
  • Ion Fury + Upcoming DLC
  • Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? + DLC
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 + DLC (or the standalone campaign a la The Torna Country)
  • Splatoon 3 + DLC (though this will be a ways away yet)
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity + DLC
  • Fire Emblem Engage + DLC

There are likely plenty more, but these are all that spring to mind right now.

PikaPhantom

Castle Crashers Remastered and Portal Companion Collection are some pretty notable omissions, in my book.

PikaPhantom

MarioBrickLayer

Another game announced by Limited Run...Nobody Saves The World...

This might not be exclusive though.

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

@MarioBrickLayer

That's three out of the ten you were hopeful for.

Yet here I am...still 0-for-10.

I'm jelly.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,256 games (as of May 29th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

MarioBrickLayer

@Magician it's 4 for me!
Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread
Cursed to Golf
Tunic
Nobody Saves the World

I hope your list changes, there are a few I want!!

MarioBrickLayer

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic